What do I mean by positive parenting?
With a spirited toddler and a young baby I have plenty of motivation to learn about effective parenting skills, and it’s an area I find fascinating. I’m at the start of a long journey with these little people, and plan to share some of my research and experiences in the hope that it may be vaguely useful, or at least entertaining, for others.
I’m no expert, more of a ‘mum muddling through’, but this is what I strive for (and if I get there some of the time, I’m happy):
- to build and maintain a strong connection with my children
- to be authoritative – setting kind limits when needed
- to guide and coach, rather than control
- to foster mutual respect
- to empathise – so my children know that I understand their feelings and point of view, even if I don’t agree with them
- to ensure my kids feel loved and supported, even when they’re being a little, ahem, ‘challenging’
- to be kind to myself, so that I have a good shot at managing some of the above